Graduating from SAO
Once you have completed the required number of units for your degree, you can graduate. This page provides current SAO students with information about attending the graduation ceremony and absentee graduations. Steps to Graduation
- Once you have successfully completed the appropriate number of units to fulfil the requirements of your degree, you can graduate. This is 4 units for the Graduate Certificate of Science (Astronomy), 8 units for the Graduate Diploma of Science (Astronomy), and 12 units for the Master of Science (Astronomy).
- The university will contact you when you are eligible to graduate.
- Please note that graduations are handled by the Registrar's Department and not by SAO. You should also note that the Awards Section have only 4 administrative staff members processing approximately 3,000 applications per Semester, so they keep student correspondence to a minimum! Information about graduating can be found on the Current Students website (under 'Manage my course').
- SAO has its own graduation page on the SAO Alumni site with information for those students who attend the graduation ceremony.
- All graduating students will receive a copy of their testamur at the graduation ceremony.
- If you are graduating in absentee, the Awards Section will post your certificate approximately two weeks after the graduation ceremony. (Note however that absentee graduation is not allowed in the December international graduation ceremonies.)
- All students graduating in absentee will receive a copy of their testamur and their full academic transcript.