SAO Entry RequirementsAll Swinburne Astronomy Online units are available to participants enrolled in the Masters, Graduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate programs or in individual unit entry, subject to prerequisites.
From 2015^ this program is available to students who have a recognised tertiary qualification* in a cognate discipline aligned# to astronomy and/or astronomy-related fields including:
- natural and physical sciences (including Mathematical Sciences, Physics & Astronomy, Earth Sciences),
- information technology (including Computer Science, Information Systems),
- engineering and related technologies (including Aerospace Engineering & Technology),
- related scientific fields in health (including Medical Studies - Radiology, Optical Science, Radiography),
- (or approved equivalent).
^ This eligibility condition only applies to new students from 2015. It does not apply to current students who have entered SAO prior to 2015 and who wish to enrol in new units.
*Bachelor degree, Level 7 in Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) or equivalent. The AQF specification for the volume of learning of a Bachelor Degree is typically 3-4 years.
#Based on Australian Standard Classification of Education (ASCED) Broad Fields of Education.
- Graduate Certificate of Science:
After successful completion of the Graduate Certificate, students may exit at this point with a Graduate Certificate of Science in Astronomy, or progress to the Graduate Diploma and Masters levels.
- Graduate Diploma of Science:
Full credit for units successfully completed on either an individual unit basis or in the Graduate Certificate will be granted on transfer into the Graduate Diploma. After successful completion of the Graduate Diploma, students may exit at this point with a Graduate Diploma of Science in Astronomy, or progress to the Masters levels.
- Master of Science:
Full credit for units successfully completed on either an individual unit basis, the Graduate Certificate or the Graduate Diploma will be granted on transfer into the Masters.